Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Sunshine In A Jar


Fresh Dill Canned Carrots are my latest creation.
It seems like I am keeping my sanity by standing at the stove. I have been wanting to be creative and honestly somedays the only time I get is while making dinner. So I am putting this here mostly so I don't forget that I made them in the first place. Haha.


 It makes me feel good when I am creative. I have had a stress filled week with children who are not feeling well, and lots of other things. Some times I choose other creative outlets (and sometimes I choose brownies!) but if all I have is a few moments during dinner I am going for it.

Matt asked me last night why I had canned carrots instead of other things that are hard to come by out of season. I couldn't at that time explain it was more in the creative flavoring and pretty optics of the jar. I had been thinking all week about how I could jar up some sunshine, and this what I came up with.

I chopped 2 pounds of carrots into small sticks, then put a clove of crushed garlic, and 2 heads of fresh dill into a Ball jar. I packed the carrots in there tightly. I then poured a boiling brine over top, leaving 1/2 inch head space. I canned them for 17 minutes in a water bath canner.

For the brine I boiled: 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup white vinegar, 1 cup cider vinegar, 2 cups water.


Sanity saved!

No comments:

Post a Comment