Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Putting Up

I had a polished picture of my jars taken until my sweet boy popped into the last picture. Couldn't resist using it instead.


The season of putting up has officially begun. I canned my first fruits of the season this morning. I have been itching to get started filling my cabinets for the rest of the year. With Strawberry season right around the corner to be followed by all the other delicious fruits and vegetables to come. I took advantage of Rhubarb being ready to pick.

I was so excited. There were so many delicious sounding recipes out there, it took me a while to decide. Eventually this recipe for Rhubarb~Grapefruit Preserves won. I was not disappointed either! I kept some to eat now (because it is irresistible), giving some to a neighbor and keeping some for next winter. I never thought to pair these two fruits but WOW is the only way to describe this preserve. 

It only took a few minutes while the children were eating their breakfast to complete. I chopped everything in 10 minutes to let it sit over night before bed last night. I am looking forward to trying other recipes this summer that will delight the family's palette when the blahs of winter return.




2 comments:

  1. Fabulous!
    I am so glad you tried this recipe and thrilled to hear you you love it.
    I must admit...your jars and tags are prettier than mine but it's what's inside the jar that counts, and from the sounds of it, we are both winners in that department :)
    Thanks for linking to my blog Elizabeth. Very sweet of you!
    Brook

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the little face in the back round~and rhubarb is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete