Saturday, June 4, 2011

Bugs Be Gone!

After 10 years of having Lyme Disease I have a hatred for Ticks, and who likes bug bites in the first place? I also hate to put Deet on my sweet babies so I went in search of what essential oils I might use to keep bugs including Ticks away from them this summer. Many recipes keep mesquitoes and ants away but don't repel Ticks which is much worse in my opinion. Note: one oil that comes highly recommended for Tick repellant is Rose Geranium. I didn't have it on hand for this batch, but I will be getting some!


After doing some research I had a list of good oils for the job, a list of safe carrier oils, and other ingredients that can be good to go on the skin. From there I made my own up. Here goes:

Elizabeth's Bug Be Gone recipe

8oz Witch Hazel
2 teaspoons Organic Olive Oil
1 1/2 teaspoons Essential Oils (equal parts Lavender, Rosemary, Cinnamon, Lemongrass, and Peppermint)
Aloe Vera Gel (optional)

I mixed it all up in a pint sized Mason jar and  started out by adding 10 drops each and then added a few more at a time until I got 1 1/2 teaspoons and added that to the mix. Shook well and poured it in small spray bottles that I found at Wal-Mart for $1 each. I highly recommend you use a small funnel. Put lid on and shake well between pouring so oils don't separate on you.

I poured half the mixture into 2 - 2oz. bottles.
I added 2 teaspoons Aloe Vera Gel to the remaining 2 bottles.


Each time I re-apply the spray I shake well, and because this is a Deet free spray, I re-apply every 30 minutes to an hour honestly. I was not sure in the beginning how it would smell with so many oils in the mix but honestly I love it! It has many different notes that hit the senses. One perk it is also supposed to be a good spider repellant too!

No comments:

Post a Comment