Sunday, April 24, 2011

A Love of Learning ~ Science




Do you really have to teach a child to love learning new things, or is it more like preserving their love of learning?


This is something I have been pondering lately. I love to learn and as I consider homeschooling my children, I want them to love to learn too. I always have enjoyed learning new things. I remember my mother who has been homeschooling her children for 27 years teaching us "how to to learn something" but did she really teach us to love learning? I don't think so.


I remember asking where silk came from as a young girl. My mother took me to the library (there was no internet in those days, YES, there was electricity) and showed me the card catalog and how to find what I was looking for. Still the desire to soak in new knowledge and understanding is something that comes from much deeper.


This weekend we ended up in the most awesome science center geared towards elementary and middle school age learning. So much to absorb and enjoy. They had microscopes that children could use, and live animals.


I.had.a.blast! (the kids did too)


While there they had a special project going where they dropped an egg that you had to design a protective cover for. Ours made it!

(getting ready to drop the egg)

(YAY! It made it, it sure did make a loud cracking sound as it hit)


This is what I want for my two boys. When I watch them learning something new, I realize I am preserving their love of learning not teaching them to love it. By providing opportunities for them to grow and excel as they walk through life they will continue to learn and love doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment