Friday, September 10, 2010

Frugal Friday ~ Laundry




I posted in January about making my own laundry soap. I gave 7 gallons away and kept 3 gallons for myself. Well I am just coming to the end of the batch. For 2$ I have not had to buy laundry soap for 7 months. The soap works great, it gets out the most difficult stains and leave every load smelling fresh. I will be making another batch this week. I am so glad I stepped out of my consumer mentality and tried this recipe out.

Yet another frugal development in my laundry routine. About 7 weeks ago our dryer broke and the very nice repair man stood us up 3 times. Needless to say we had an little bundle of joy 4 weeks ago adding significantly to our Mount Washmore. Trying to keep up with it, I decided to start hanging the laundry up to dry. At first my husband hung it around the house, um no, so then we graduated to two drying racks. I love them because they they are so easy to set up on our back deck.

Well when little boy was born, we needed to do significantly more than the drying racks could handle. So up went the laundry in the back yard. Thankfully we have to poles in the back yard that have been there for decades.

What turned into necessity has awakened a new way of life! I love hanging out my laundry. They smell fresh and take no longer to dry than in an electric dryer. I do miss the softness of towels in the dryer. As crazy as it sounds it is so peaceful out there. The two boys can come out and enjoy the time with me. No distractions or noise except the birds.

Doing a load of laundry a day keeps me from hating the washing, folding and putting away. I wash it at night, hang it out and put if away before the day is done. No piles upon piles waiting for me. I am also looking forward to seeing what the difference in our power bill is after exclusively handing laundry out for almost 2 months now. It has to be a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment